Wednesday, September 14, 2011

More Wednesdayness

So, I found that my friendly neighborhood seafood market was still open (for another half hour) wooohooo!  I promptly purchased a half pound of large shrimp and two crab cakes.  Now, keep in mind this is all locally caught seafood and the shrimp is fresh off the boat today (crab cakes are made in store, and frozen)

So, tonight it was shrimp.  I stopped off at Food Lion and picked up some fresh garlic and brown rice.  I chopped up two large cloves of garlic and simmered it slowly in my organic Smart Balance (yeah, I know...Paula Dean would be horrified).  While that was getting all fragrant, I cleaned and de-veined the shrimpies, which was a gross job.  Luckily, the owner of the condo does stock a small, sharp knife.  I also busted out the fresh broccoli I got earlier this week and cleaned enough for a serving (cuz I gotta have my veggies!).

While the broccoli was steaming, I slowly simmered the shrimp in the garlic/buttery spread mixture to which I'd added a bit of extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.  Rice went in the microwave because I can be a lazy cook.

For once, my cooking timing was on-target, and it was all done at once.  Plated it up and served with a semi-dry white wine

The verdict? OMG...I've died and gone to Heaven!  The shrimp was delicate, tender, and perfectly cooked.  Even the broccoli was perfect.  I have enough left for another meal...maybe lunch tomorrow?

I've been thinking of Mom a lot during this trip as the last time I was here I was with her.  She and I felt the same way about the ocean...maybe she more strongly felt drawn to it than I.  She always insisted on having an ocean view and wanted to sleep with the window open so she could sleep to the sound of the surf.   This solo trip I also realized that we have the solo escape in common as well.  She would take vacations on her own to relax and escape the pressures of her life.

The BIG difference between she and I with our solo trips is that she would take the time to exercise and eat right.  I suppose I have gotten *some* exercise by default (shopping is exercise, right?) but I am enjoying letting the reins go in my diet.  I am totally planning to head out and get some ice cream in a few minutes...while I hit the cheezy tourist shops along the main drag.  

Tomorrow I plan to visit Shackleford Banks....and do the serious shelling that Mom and I loved to do.  This time Mom...I will remember the sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment