Friday, April 26, 2024

Korea 2024 - Day 13: Last Day Insanity

Since I have to get ready and pack up to leave tomorrow, I'm gonna make this quick and, hopefully, expand on it later.   I had a plan that I didn't really stick to today.  First thing is to visit Insadong, another big shopping area.  This one was less flea market and more shopping street.  I knew I couldn't get much as I had started packing and didn't have much room.  It was a great place to wander around and poke in shops though...


I did find some Dragon's beard candymaking.  I got a small box and tried to take photos of the guy making it through the plexiglass shield.  It was tough, but I got a decent shot.

I spent most of the afternoon wandering around the streets and alleys of the area.


There were loads of local restaurants and hotels down the side alleys


This building appears to be made of old roof tiles...I thought it was cool.


I then found Tapgol Park that was once the site of Wongaska Temple. 


There is a nice pavillion for people to hang out in.



One of the two remaining pieces of the old temple, the monument of Wongaska.


This is Wongsaka Pagoda, a ten storied stone pagoda constructed in 1467.


One of the gates to the park. The main gate was undergoing restoration, so it was all covered up by white walls.


However, the doors were still visible and being used.  I thought this one was interesting.

I was headed toward Changgyeonggung Palace, as I heard it was more beautiful and much more of it was preserved from the original. However, I was distracted on the way there by another historic looking complex of buildings, I entered to find that it was the Unhyeongung Royal Residence.  Not a palace, but where the one of the kings grew up and lived.  I have to do some research on it to better describe the buildings, but it was interesting to see a less formal home for the royal family. It was also free to enter, so enter I did.










There was a little museum in the grounds, with examples of clothing that the king and queen wore at their wedding.



And some other examples of normal royal life...



I finished looking around and headed to my destination.  However, the palace stopped selling tickets 30 minutes prior.  So I just took a couple of photos of a couple of entrances.


Munjeongmun Gate

And a smallside gate that I don't think had a name.


As I had not yet had any fried chicken, I got some from the most popular chain in Korea - BBQ.  It was awesome...just a little spicy and the pickle was yummy too.  

Back home tomorrow...






No comments:

Post a Comment