Monday, April 22, 2024

Korea 2024 - Day 9: Downtown Busan

I had two full days in Busan, and I decided that one I would spend on my own exploring and the other would be on a group tour.  Group tours are the best way to jam a lot of stuff into a short time.  That would be tomorrow.  This day, I spent wandering around Busan.  First thing was to find some markets and street food.  My first destination was BIFF


The Busan International Film Festival area.  Big street market and lots of street food.  


Oh yeah, and fortune tellers.  This is a whole row of them...tent after tent after tent.  I was hungry, so I wandered around looking at all of the food vendors.  Most of them included pig or cow.  I can't imagine trying to be a vegetarian in Korea.  Anyway, I mentally bookmarked a vendor who had "no meat" dumplings. When I returned, dumpling lady was not at her cart.  I sat down to wait and she was back in just a couple of minutes.  I feel like I was her first customer for the day.  I ordered "no meat" dumplings and she pointed me to a short stool next to her cart.  


I settled in to watch dumpling lady make my lunch.  It smelled awewome. She served me up and I got down to eating...yummy. The dumplings actually contained noodles.  I believe they were the same sweet potato starch noodles used in japchae.  As I devoured the first two dumplings, I watched her make a small scallion pancake.  I later found out that she made it for me and placed it on my plate.


Here are the remaining dumplings, small pancake pieces and a kind of slaw made with grated cabbage, small slivers of apple, and Korean red sauce.  She told me to put the slaw on the pancake to eat it.  OMG...it was awesome! I then realized that I should have been putting the slaw on my dumplings too.  I corrected my mistake and was deliciously happy.   I am definitely no longer afraid of that red sauce.  Imma learn how to make it myself when I get home for sure. After paying the lady, I went off in search of hotteck again.


This time I got it with seeds, the traditional way.  Oh, they say it's honey in there, but it's actually brown sugar.  It was super delicious.


I then wandered around the market area 


And wandered


Wandered


And more




There were literally miles of back streets and alleys lined with little shops and stalls.  The sheer amount of different things available boggled the mind.  Since I didn't need a counterfeit designer hat, handbag, jewelry, etc....and the clothes won't fit me, I managed to make it out purchaseless...

I then checked my map to see what was nearby and found I was pretty close to Busan tower.  What the heck...why not?  So I set off for the tower.  


Went past a little Buddhist temple to glimpse the reclining Buddha inside.  Lots of lanterns too...


The path to the tower took you either up a lot of stairs or a winding path through the city park.  Guess which one I chose?  There is a really cool tile mural along the single lane road going up the hill.


The path is tree-lined and quite lovely.


Some deer made of logs...


Near the end of the path and a view starts to emerge. 


And a pavilion containing a coffee shop upstairs and a gift shop downstairs.


Here is the tower.  I got my ticket and took the elevator up.  I was alone for a bit, which was very nice.  I got to admire the views from the highest point in Busan without distractions.


There was this nifty sticker on this window labeling the bridge 


Views of the harbor.  


And of Gamcheon Cultural Village, which was o the agenda for the next day.


More harbor and sea...


Hello there...proof I was present.



More views of the scenery.

By this time, I was pretty tired.  It was a hike up the hill to the tower, so I decided to head back.  I took the stairs down this time.  Found my subway and headed back to my hotel.  Hit the sheets early as the next day was going to be a busy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment