Saturday, October 19, 2013

Beach Trip 2013: Galveston, TX

I have no idea where I got the notion that it would take me two hours to get here from Austin.  I think I'm insane.  Even if it was only 100 miles instead of 200...the traffic through Houston would have doubled the time anyway.   I promise I will never complain about Austin traffic again.   Geez.

Anyway, made it here in one piece, albeit after dark and only have a few more grey hairs from that drive.   I believe this will be my one and only trip to Galveston, so I'd better see everything.

Everything will not include this sad rental unit.  I have to say that I am not impressed with this place.  The stovetop is a mass of rust, there is mold in the AC register, and I found a long, black hair in the bed.  Ewwwww...

Granted, the Victorian is an older condo hotel, but I was expecting to see a bit dated...maybe some rust stains in the bathtub (there are those) but I was NOT expecting to kill an army of teeny little ants on the kitchen counter. Hey, it could be worse...the very first rental I stayed in was infested with cockroaches!

Now, the complex is in a perfect area...right across the street (Seawall Blvd) from the gulf.  The unit faces the gulf and I can hear it in the distance.  Probably will be able to see it in the morning. The pool is heated and still open...there is a workout room and a hot tub.  I will figure out how to get to the gulf in the morning. There appears to be a busy road in my way.

There is a Wal-Mart almost next door and I picked up a few essentials (like coffee).  Tonight, I will sleep on the couch, with my own pillows, wrapped up in the quilt I brought with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment