Saturday, October 19, 2013

Drive by Post...Texas State Fair!

For those of you who don't know, I recently moved to Austin, Texas.   I've been spending a lot of time (indoors) trying to get acclimated (to the heat).  It's autumn now, and I'm just starting to poke my head outside and do some exploring.

Last weekend, I went to the Texas Antique Weekend, which is actually lasts for about a month of weekends.  I forgot to bring my camera and didn't think to take any pictures with my phone.  We're planning to go back in the Spring, so I'll prepare for that.

I'm heading to Galveston next weekend for my annual beach trip, so get ready for a week full of light reading.   To prepare you, I'm going to tell you all about my trip yesterday to the Texas State Fair!  It was the last weekend of the fair and the weekend of the Red River Rivalry football game. The Texas fairgrounds are at the same location as the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Dallas is about 3 hours north of Austin.

We started off at 9am in an effort to avoid the traffic and chaos caused by the game. We did stop on the way at the famous Czech Stop and Little Czech Baker for some breakfast kolaches. Yummo!

When we got there, we drove a circle around the entire fairgrounds looking for parking.  Apparently the football crowd got all of the valet parking, which had been the plan.  We finally found a place within reasonable distance and headed to the fairgrounds.  $17 later, we were in and searching for a bathroom.

I keep saying "we" because this is not a solo trip, as I usually do, but with my friend Christi.  We work together and were meeting a fellow co-worker and her group there.  We met at Big Tex.


This is a new, improved Big Tex because the previous version was destroyed in an electrical fire almost exactly a year ago.  Of course the event was captured on video and posted to YouTube. 



Note: this blog post is unfinished....I'll get to it later, I promise.  Time to move on to my beach trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment