Sunday, April 14, 2024

Korea 2024 - I've arrived!

This begins my 2024 59th birthday adventures.  I am 2 weeks in Korea...mostly in Seoul, but with a few day break in Busan.  Yes, I'm taking a train to Busan...no, I haven't seen the movie and I don't plan to until I've returned.  LOL

My adventure started with an overnight stay in an airport hotel in Austin as my flight left at 6:30AM.  I hate morning flights, but there was no way around it.  Either leave at the crack of dawn, or arrive 2 days later.   2 hours to Minneapolis, 2 hour layover, FOURTEEN hour flight to Seoul. It wasn't horrendous.  Delta premium comfort is pretty nice, my seatmates were fun, and the food was pretty good. 


And I got a Korean Canada Dry ginger ale on the flight.  I am easily amused by the can.

Arrived, line for entry was short and uneventful, got my bags, and spent some time looking for a bag delivery service.  They have them here, but they're not as easy as the ones in Tokyo.  I ended up with my bags on the train/subway.  The high speed train from the airport was nice and not crowded at all.   Part of it was in tunnels, but there was plenty of nice scenery, although the mountain view was on the other side of the train.


Still, I got to see some of the spring blossoms and my first glimpses of Korea.

I didn't get lost on the subways and it was a pretty quick trip to where my hotel is.  My room is small, but has everything I need.  Like China, you don't flush toilet tissue, which takes some remembering.  The shower is in a separate area with the sink, and the shower runs from the same tap.  Kind of interesting, but it works well.  The water is hot and plenty of pressure.  

There is a convenience store connected to the hotel, which is nice.   I got a WowPass, which is a combination debit card and subway pass.  The chain of convenience store downstairs has cash back on the WowPass, which is super convenient.  I got dinner and some essentials and made some money back. 

Ate some cheese instant ramen, took a shower, and went to bed at 6:30.  Got up at 5.  So much sleep and I slept HARD.  It's raining today and I forgot an umbrella (it's always something).  Hopefully, there will be a break in the rain so I can get to the subway and head out to do some shopping.  


No comments:

Post a Comment