Sunday, April 21, 2013

Why is the Trip Home Always Awful?

So, I did get up on time this morning...but I moved very slowly.  Trams started running around 8am and that's when I wanted to leave...I was a lil late.  I thought that was OK, as I had built late time into my plans.

I got to Central Station to find that the trains were not running today due to maintenance, so I had to take a different train to a bus to the airport.  Which put me a further 15 minutes behind.  This was Not Good.  Luckily, the line at the ticket counter moved quickly and I found my gate with a bit of time to spare.  This means I got to go hit the Duty Free shop that had chocolate.  Yes, my work friends...there will be Toblerone!

A trend I've noticed in Europe, that I really like is that you go through security at each gate.  So the entire airport of travelers isn't funnelled through a single security checkpoint.  At least that was how Vienna was last year and Amsterdam was this morning.  I was only slightly sweaty when I got to my seat.  My seatmate was a quiet guy from California.  This airplane was older than the one on the flight over and did not have nifty touchscreens on the video display.  I ended up not watching a movie.  I just read and napped a bit.  And blew my nose.  The altitude change turned my nose into a faucet.  I'm sure the other people on the plane just LOVED me.

We got to Washington Dulles 15 minutes late.  Why I booked a flight with an hour layover coming in from overseas, I'll never know.  Luckily, the customs lines were short.  Unfortunately, the trip from concourse C to concourse A was LONG.  They had to hold my plane for me.

Again, I was a sweaty mess and had to give up my window seat on the rickety rubber band prop plane for one in the very back row.  The Asian gentleman to my right kept nodding off and almost fell asleep ON me several times.  I was feeling totally awful by then and was craving a McDonald's sweet tea.  No idea why...but I WANTED one.

So, I got my suitcase at the Roanoke airport and took the route through Vinton so I could get an enormous tea.

I made it home and am currently tucked into bed with the Tylenol PM starting to kick in.  I have tons to do tomorrow and hope I'm feeling better.

Good news is...absolutely NONE of my stuff got broken.  YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment